Dr. Philipp Köker
Area: Vergleichende Regierungslehre und Politisches System Deutschlands
Building: Schneiderberg 50, 30167 Hannover
Room: E.24 (EG)
Phone: +49 511 762 4917
Office Hours: Tuesdays, 14:00-15:30 (term time only; please register via StudIP)
- Presidential politics
- Elections and electoral candidates
- Party politics
- Central and Eastern Europe & Former Soviet Union
- Research design
I am happy to supervise BA and MA dissertations on any of the above topics.
- 2018-present, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Research Group in Comparative Government and German Politics, University of Hannover
- 2016-2018, Senior Research Fellow in Politics and International Relations & Deputy Director, Centre for European Studies (CEFEUS), Canterbury Christ Church University, UK
- 2014-2016, Research Associate in Societal and Political Responses to Corruption in Europe, EU FP7 ANTICORRP Project (Grant No. 290529), University College London, UK
- 2016-2018, Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP), Canterbury Christ Church University, UK
- 2010-2015, PhD in Political Science, University College London, UK
Winner of the ECPR Jean Blondel PhD Prize 2016 for the best thesis in politics
- 2009-2010, MA (with distinction) in Politics, Security and Integration, University College London, UK
- 2006-2009, BA (1:1) in Political Science and Public Law, University of Mannheim, Germany
Full CV available on my website
- Köker, P. 2017. Presidential Activism and Veto Power in Central and Eastern Europe. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Ledeneva, A., Bratu, R. and Köker, P. (Eds). 2017. Innovations in Corruption Studies. Cambridge: MHRA.
- Köker, P. Forthcoming. The effects of majority requirements, selectorate composition and uncertainty in indirect presidential elections: The case of Estonia. East European Politics (Online First)
- Köker, P. Forthcoming. Risk or Reward: Party strategies and extra-parliamentarian electors in German presidential elections, 1949-2017. German Politics (Online First)
- Sikk, A. and Köker, P. 2017. Party Congruence and Novelty: A New Approach to Measuring Party and Party System Change. Party Politics (Online First).
- Ledeneva, A., Bratu, R. and Köker, P. 2017. Corruption Studies for the Twenty-First Century: Paradigm Shifts and Innovative Approaches. Slavonic and East European Review, 95 (1): 1-20.
- Köker, P. 2014. Semi-structured elite interviews in a nested analysis framework: Studying presidential activism in Central and Eastern Europe. SAGE Research Methods Cases. Online; 17 pp.. dx.doi.org/10.4135/978144627305014534927.
- Köker, P. 2016. Review: Gwiazda, Anna. 2016. Democracy in Poland. Representation, participation, competition and accountability since 1989. East European Politics, 32 (3): 401-402.
- Köker, P. 2015. Review: Nikolenyi, Csaba. 2014. Institutional Design and Party Government in Post-Communist Europe. Oxford: OUP. Europe-Asia Studies, 67 (10): 1727-1728.
- Köker, P. 2015. ‘Review: Vít Hloušek (Ed.). 2014. Presidents above Parties? Presidents in Central and Eastern Europe, Their Formal Competencies and Informal Power’. CEU Political Science Journal, 10 (1-2): 147-150.
All publications also available via my Google Scholar profile